Brace yourselves. The 4th Annual Monster Mud Run is happening this Saturday, July 12!
For the last 12 months, we’ve spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about how we could make the Monster Mud Run more challenging. With help from our way-too-enthusiastic mountain ops crew (some of these guys are snowmakers and know a thing or two about toughness), we’ve designed a course that will deliver more mud – and more fun – than ever before.
Here are just a few of the 20+ obstacles you’ll encounter in this year’s Monster Mud Run.
- Septic Slide – This grossly-named feature is new for the 2014 race – and, thankfully, includes no actual septic elements. Instead, racers will run down Lower Picked Rock as snowmaking guns spray them with copious amounts of water. The steep slope and shoe-sucking mud will prove a challenge, but a giant slip-and-slide should make things go more smoothly toward the bottom.
- Babe’s Flea Bath – After working up a sweat on the course, you’ll jump into an ice-coldsnowmaking pond. The bravest competitors willfight off a full-body-brain freeze as they swim 20 yards to the far side of the pond. If this obstacle looks like too much for you, there’s no shame in walking around. We won’t judge.
- Little Sister Warzone – In the winter, Little Sister is the mellow home to our Burton Progression Park. In the summer, this sun-baked field turns into a muddy No Man’s Land. Crawling on their hands and knees, racers will maneuver through 100 feet of mud, hay bales, tarps, and netting. You’re welcome.
- Strange Cargo – Climb up a cargo net, just like in gym class – except now you’re old. So very old, and so very muddy.
- Horse Barn Hurdles – This crowd favorite rewards flexible hamstrings and a complete lack of dignity. Hop over several chest-high horse stalls in quick succession, and hope for the best.
- Lincoln Logs – Tired yet? Crawl over and under this energy-sapping row of logs, and then come talk to us.
***Remember – these six obstacles are just a small fraction of the challenges you’ll encounter in this year’s race. With more than 20 obstacles spread out over the 5k course, the 4th Annual Monster Mud Run promises to be muddier, crazier, and more fun than ever.